Black Rock Forest COVID-19 UPDATE
4.6.2020 UPDATE: Please avoid hiking/visiting BRF trails during peak hours (11AM to 3PM).
We are asking the community to help us manage the sudden increase in visitation due to current circumstances. Especially, when the weather is good, please help by planning your visit in the mornings or late afternoons. Our parking lots are filling and sometimes people are tempted to park illegally, on the roadside or blocking our gates. Parking on our narrow roadsides can obstruct emergency vehicle access should there be a fire, injury, or other incident in the Forest. If you do arrive and find a full parking lot, we appreciate your flexibility and returning at another time. During this difficult period, we are asking everyone join us in making this work: be patient, find different times of day to visit and remember the guidelines:
3/27.2020 UPDATE: MINERAL SPRINGS ENTRANCE IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC at the request of the Town of Cornwall Police Department.
The Forest remains open at this time. Please use other entrances, including our public parking lot at Reservoir Road. Thank you!
Please be mindful of over-crowding, hike individually, follow social distancing guidelines - allow 6+ feet of space between you and other hikers, park only in designated areas (NO ROADSIDE PARKING - DO NOT BLOCK ACCESS EMERGENCY VEHICLE ACCESS). We thank you for your cooperation and stay well.
Required Parking Fee at the Reservoir Road Parking Lot Temporarily Waived
Black Rock Forest (trails & grounds) remains open.
Parking Fee - waived during this period of the public health crisis
(If you are able, please support Black Rock Forest. Become a Friend of the Forest & receive an annual parking pass or purchase a daily parking pass. During this difficult time, public support to maintain our organization is more important than ever!)
- Parking Fees at the Reservoir Road Lot, effective October 5, 2019
- Fee: $5.00 per car, daily use (free to annual supporters $25+/yr)
- New Benefits: Free parking for Friends of the Forest (including current/annual supporters)
- Visitor Services staff at the Reservoir Road Lot: Peak Weekends & holidays
Why is Black Rock Forest (BRF) charging for parking? Every year the number of people who venture into the Forest increases. BRF now serves over 60,000 hikers and recreational visitors per year, an increase of 20% during the last decade and the number of student and scientist visitor days increased to nearly 15,000.
As a scientific field station that is also open to the public, Black Rock Forest requires special care to preserve and protect its flora and fauna as well as its natural beauty. Our forest crew works daily to mitigate the impact of our growing visitation numbers while protecting nearly 4,000 acres. This new “Friends” program will deepen our base of support to safeguard the Forest for research, education, conservation … and for recreation, too!
We recognize that this will be a transition for visitors of Black Rock Forest. To ease the transition, the fees are as affordable as possible and there is the benefit of free parking for Friends of the Forest (annual supporters $25+/year).
Minimum Contribution: $25.00/year - thru December 31, 2020
- Free Parking - at Reservoir Rd. Lot (1 pass for 1 car)
- Free Admission to BRF Hike Programs
- Annual “Friends Only” Hike
Minimum Contribution: $40.00/year - thru December 31, 2020
- Free Parking - at Reservoir Rd. (2 passes, 3rd upon request)
- Free Admission to BRF Hike Programs for household members
- Annual “Friends Only” Hike
(Note: license plate #, make and model required for cars on each parking pass and cars must be registered to household address. Please register your car with visitor services on the first day you park after 10/5/2019.)
If you are currently a Friend of the Forest (annual supporter) parking is a benefit. You will receive a parking pass in the mail for your Individual or Family level which is valid through December 31, 2020. If you do not receive a parking pass and feel you should have, please contact us. We are grateful for your support.
INQUIRIES: call 845-534-4517 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
VISIT US - What do you need to know if you are planning a visit?
Plan Ahead – FAQ’S
Safety & Planning –
- ATV's/Snowmobiles are not allowed in Black Rock Forest, other then those owned and operated by BRF Staff.
- Organized groups: Must call to pre-register with Black Rock Forest before visiting (845-534-4517). We will need the Group Name, Address, Telephone # and the Hike Leader Name, Email, Cell Phone, and the Number of hikers. We ask that groups, carpool as much as possible.
- We ask that groups travel in cohorts of a maximum of 12 to mitigate the impact on the land. If your group is larger than 12, we ask that you split the group and take separate loops – perhaps meeting for lunch or a snack in the middle. When you call, we are happy to provide maps and hiking suggestions for your group to make your visit more enjoyable. NOTE: large groups may be turned away if they have not pre-registered and there is overcrowding in the parking lot; for the safety of all visitors. After October 5th, there will be a a charge to park in our lot (additional fees will apply for Vans and large buses.)
Vans: Please note that parking fees for vans (vehicles carrying more than 10 passengers) are $50/daily parking fees.
- Coach buses: Please note that our parking lots are too small to accomodate coach buses. Please call ahead and make other transportation arrangements.