Completed in 2003, the Black Rock Forest Lodge incorporates most of the same green building features as the Science Center, and includes several new ones:
- Dense-pack cellulose insulation with staggered-stud framing in the walls for high-energy performance.
- Bent-rectangle building shape and northwest-southeast orientation along the contour of the ridge to maximize solar exposure and minimize building size, maximize views, and blend into the hillside.
- Carbon dioxide monitoring for the geothermal heating and cooling system.
- Certified sustainable wood for all framing.
- Concrete with a high proportion of recycled fly ash.